Job Type : Direct
Hours : Full Time
Travel : Yes
Relocation : No
Job Description :
The Senior Biomechanist works with a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists for the purpose of reconstructing injury producing incidents and other events to evaluate and determine mechanisms of injury.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Conduct field investigations to gather and analyze vehicle crash, slip/trip and fall or mechanical failure data and the related impact on the human body;
o Review supporting medical and hospital records,
• Calculate principal directions of force, and changes in velocity during a crash event as well as
make determinations as to the amount of force required to cause and prevent certain types of
• Conduct or assist with conducting various types of static and dynamic tests;
• Prepare reports of scientific findings and conclusions that can be understood by laypersons and supported by testimony during depositions and trials;
• Prepare and deliver technical/educational presentations to existing and potential client groups
and technical conferences;
• Enhance professional/technical knowledge and credibility through continuing education
programs, review of technical publications, and preparation of technical papers;
• Other related duties/projects as needed;
o Performs injury causation analyses using knowledge of anatomy, physics and
o Explores the relationship between accident kinematics and severity and human
o Utilizes biomedical investigations involving human volunteers and anthropometric
devices to analyze human response to an event, injury mechanisms and human tolerance;
o Injury Causation Biomechanics, Human Kinematics and Kinetics, Human Injury Mechanisms, Human Motion Capture Data Collection and Analysis, Joint Biomechanics,
Spinal Biomechanics, Human Tolerance Thresholds, and Vehicular Accident Reconstruction.
Required Qualifications :
• Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering.
• Specialization in trauma biomechanics;
• Experience with full-scale crash testing;
• Accident reconstruction experience, or related coursework;
• Understanding of Anthropomorphic Test Device (ATD);
• Experience with data acquisition / post-processing crash data;
• Accident Reconstruction (Other/Passenger Vehicles, Testing), Biomechanical (Brain Injury, Fatality, Human Factors, Low Speed Impact, Orthopedic, Spinal Cord Injury), Crashworthiness (Seat, Seat Belt & Airbag, Testing) and Failure Analysis (Transportation, Workplace).
Physical Demands and Work Environment
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, fax machines and filing cabinets. This is largely a sedentary role; however, it may require some bending and light to moderate lifting. Additional infrequent demands include working use of cameras and video cameras. May be asked to serve as a fitcheck surrogate as well as climb in/around vehicles/structures. When traveling on inspections or working in a testing environment, may encounter extreme temperatures.
Annual performance appraisal for Senior Biomechanist (Expert).
Attainment of annual goals established between manager and employee.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.